Required Payments (for 2023)
|Schooling and Tuition (Includes GST)||One Year||$16,000.00 NZD|
|Three Terms||$14,000.00 NZD|
|Two Terms||$9,000.00 NZD|
|One Term||$4,000.00 NZD|
|Per Week||$500.00 NZD|
|Administration Fee||Per Annum
|Home Stay Fees||$310.00 NZ per week x 46 weeks (one year)||$14,260.00 NZD|
|Contingency Fund *||school trips, stationery, etc *||$1,500.00 NZD|
|Insurance**||Insurance per annum **||$650.00 NZD|
|PLUS Govt Levy||$440.00 NZD|
|FULL YEAR TOTAL in NZD||$35,150.00 NZD|
|PLEASE EMAIL FOR SHORT TERM FEES: firstname.lastname@example.org|
* Note: unspent funds are refunded
** Note: insurance cover must be up to visa expiry date
|Outdoor Education||Per annum (optional)||$1200.00 NZD|
(Whitewater Kayak 2 Day Camp Mavora)
(Tramping/Orienteering & 3 Day Camp Stewart Island)
(High Ropes Course/Rock Climbing/Snowcaving/Cross Country Skiing – 4 Day Camp at Snow Farm Wanaka)
(Single Track/Mountain Biking/Bike Repairs 2 day camp Wanaka)
|Pocket Money||Suggested ($50.00 x 46 Weeks)||$2,300.00 NZD|
|NZQA Exam Fees||Years 11-13||$384.00 NZD|
|Student Visa Renewal||(includes online via Immigration NZ)||$510.00 NZD|
|Now partnered with flywire for easy payment options|
Request for a refund of international student fees
1. The School will consider all requests for a refund of international student fees. Requests should be made in writing to the School as soon as possible after the circumstances leading to a request.
2. A request for a refund should provide the following information to the School:
- The name of the student
- The circumstances of the request
- The amount of refund requested
- The name of the person requesting the refund
- The name of the person who paid the fees
- The bank account details to receive any eligible refund
- Any relevant supporting documentation such as receipts or invoice.
3. The School is unable to refund some fees. The following fees relate to expenses that the School may have paid or will incur as a result of receiving an application for enrolment and cannot be refunded:
- Administration Fee: Administration fees meet the cost of processing an international student application. Administration fees exists whether an application is accepted or not or whether a student remains enrolled after an application is accepted.
- Insurance: Once insurance is purchased, the school is unable to refund insurance premiums paid on behalf of the Student. Students and families may apply directly to an insurance company for a refund of premiums paid.
- Used Homestay Fees: Homestay fees paid for time the Student has already spent in a homestay cannot be refunded. Used homestay fees may also include a notice period of two weeks.
- Portion of Unused Tuition Fees: The School may retain a portion of unused tuition fees. Amounts retained will relate to costs that have been incurred or committed by the School and may vary.
Request for a refund for failure to obtain a study visa
4. If the Student fails to obtain an appropriate study visa, a refund of international student tuition fees will be provided less an Administration Fee of NZD$500.00.
Requests for a refund for voluntary withdrawal from enrolment – Withdrawal prior to enrolment
5. If the Student voluntarily withdraws prior to the start date of their enrolment, a refund of international student fees will be provided less any relevant non-refundable fees set out in this policy.
Requests for a refund for voluntary withdrawal from enrolment – Withdrawal after enrolment
6. If the Student withdraws on or after the start date of their enrolment, reasonable written notice of withdrawal is required by the school. Unless otherwise agreed by the School, a refund will be provided less a minimum of ten weeks tuition fee and any other relevant non-refundable fees as outlined in this policy.
Requests for a refund where the School fails to provide a course, ceases as a signatory or ceases to be a provider
7. If the School fails to provide the agreed course of education or is no longer a signatory to the Code or no longer operates as an international education provider, the School will negotiate with the Student or their family to either:
- Refund the unused portion of international student tuition fees or other fees paid for services not delivered or
- Transfer the amount of any eligible refund to another provider or
- Make other arrangements agreed to by the student or their family and the school.
Where the Student’s enrolment is ended by the School
8. In the event the Student’s enrolment is ended by the School for a breach of the Contract of Enrolment, the School will consider a request for a refund less:
- Any non-refundable fees set out in this policy
- Ten weeks tuition fee
- Any other reasonable costs that the school has incurred in ending the student’s enrolment
Where the Student changes to a domestic student during the period of enrolment
9. If the Student changes to a domestic student after the start date of their enrolment, reasonable written notice of the change is required by the School. Unless otherwise agreed by the School, a refund will be provided less a minimum of ten weeks tuition fee and any other relevant non-refundable fees as outlined in this policy.
Where a student voluntarily requests to transfer to another signatory
10. If the Student requests to transfer to another signatory after the start date of their enrolment, reasonable written notice of the transfer is required by the School. Unless otherwise agreed by the School, a refund will be provided less a minimum of ten weeks tuition fee and any other relevant non-refundable fees as outlined in this policy.
Request for a refund of homestay fees
11. If for any reason, the Student withdraws after the start date of their enrolment, any unused homestay fees will be refunded, less any relevant non-refundable fees set out in this policy.
12. Where a student moves from a school homestay and requests a refund of any unused homestay fees, these will be refunded less any non-refundable fees set out in this policy.
Requests for a refund of fees unused at the end of enrolment
13. Except by written request from parents, prepaid fees unused at the end of enrolment amounting to less than NZD$500.00 will be refunded to the Student in cash. Sums of NZD$500.00 or greater will be refunded into a nominated bank account.
Outstanding activity fees or other fees
14. Any activity or other fees incurred by the Student during enrolment and owed to the School at the time of withdrawal, will be deducted from any eligible refund.
Refunds to be made to the country of receipt
15. Unless otherwise agreed in writing, all eligible refunds of fees of NZD$1,000.00 or more received from outside of New Zealand will be refunded to a nominated bank account in the source country.
Rights of families after a decision regarding a refund has been made by the School
16. A decision by the School relating to a request for a refund of international student fees will be provided to the Student or family in writing and will set out the following information:
- Factors considered when making the refund decision
- The total amount to be refunded
- Details of non-refundable fees
17. The Student and their family has the right to take a grievance to the Code Administrator or Disputes Resolution Scheme in the event they are dissatisfied with a refund decision made by the School.
The school will ensure that its fee protection mechanisms and accounting procedures provide the following safeguards:
- The school will ensure that funds from international students paid in advance are accounted for in such a way that individual student balances are clearly identified and monitored.
- The school will ensure that generally accepted accounting procedures are applied to international student fees paid in advance.
- The school will ensure that only those staff with appropriate authority will have access to international student funds paid in advance.
- The school will ensure that all International fees paid in advance shall be paid into the school’s operating account or other account authorized by the Principal.
- The school will transfer fees paid in advance to revenues at appropriate intervals during the period of enrolment for each student.
- The school will ensure that it has sufficient funds available to meet any remaining international student fees paid in advance liability at any time.
- The school will ensure that the operation of this fee protection policy is audited as part of the school’s audit procedures.
- James Hargest College Board of Trustees guarantees to keep sufficient funds in reserve in a separate tagged investment account to enable a refund of the unspent portion of fees, should the school be unable to continue the course.
The school will review procedures relating to this policy as part the annual self-review. The school will collect and record appropriate evidence of the review.